Wednesday, March 28, 2007
An Impromptu Field-Trip
After achievement tests and a totally unplanned lunch at Backyard Burger with daddy, we took a spontaneous trip down the road to Tupelo, Mississippi! We decided we needed some new Easter duds and headed out! This had to be a whirl-wind trip because we were leaving town at noon and had to be back in town by 6 pm. We had a fine time shopping for new spring clothes--well, except that time in the dressing room when I had to face the fact that I needed a larger size in my dress--you can only suck in so far, you know!On the way there we pulled off at the Elvis birthplace exit. I am such an Elvis fan and I know it is not hip and cool to be an Elvis fan, but I can't help it. It's in my genes. K is a big fan too, only she prefers to keep it a secret--oops, guess I screwed that up! Sorry K.
This is a beautiful fountain they had. I took a picture of the kids sitting in front of it, but A had a terrible look on his face, so I had mercy and posted this picture instead!
Here is a redeeming photo of A shaking hands with the Elvis statue. This supposedly depicts Elvis at age 13. It could have been anyone really.
This is the teeny tiny house Elvis was born and raised in! You would not believe how little it is! He really came from meager beginnings.
We had such a nice time and we left with the kids asking to go to Graceland! My hubby and I went last summer--the day after Pres. Bush went with that Japanese dude-Yes I am up on my politics ;) ! I would love to take the children sometime and we have no excuse, since we live so close by!
Have a great day y'all!

post signature

Labels: , ,


  posted at 11:20 AM  
  11 comments



11 Comments:
At March 28, 2007 11:52 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At March 28, 2007 11:55 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Ok, so I deleted my first comment 'cause I had second thoughts. Now, here's what I said that I could keep:
Cool!! Glad you could get out of town for a while!
New thought:
How in the world do you need a bigger size in a dress? You don't appear to have gained anything!

 
At March 28, 2007 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love last minute trips! All the fun without the stress of planning.

And I learned something today. I thought Elvis was born, lived, and died in TN. Obviously I am not "in the know" when it comes to music history.

 
At March 28, 2007 12:17 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Okay, once you figure it out... take her picture and post it.

Looks like a fun trip, my day has not been too fun. I recovered with a therapeutic stop at Marshalls :) I had to take Iz for hip xrays this morning in preparation for the botox injections on Monday. (sigh)

I may post something about our experience and a pic of my treasures that I gathered. Poor Matt, called when I was knee deep in self pity and shoe boxes. He said, "Having shopping therapy are you?" At least he knows me well. I told him yes, but it was necessities so it doesn't count. I needed four pairs of polo flip flops for goodness sakes, right?

Annie

 
At March 28, 2007 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We drive right by there when going home to visit David's family in Arkansas. I'm not an Elvis fan, so we don't stop. Great pictures, though!!

I saw a Backyard Burger (in Memphis, I believe) wondered if they were good. We don't have them here in SC.

 
At March 28, 2007 12:36 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

Huge Elvis fan here and I'm not ashamed to share it! LOL! My stepdad played him all the time growing up and I hated him as a child. When I became an adult, I knew all of the songs by heart and learned that I really do like him after all (waving my Elvis banner now! LOL). Glad you had a fun trip. I love spur of the moment trips but I rarely take them since I have lovely hypothyroidism and I stay tired alot!

 
At March 28, 2007 3:21 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

You are such a fun mom! (Or in honor of Elvis, I should say "momma. ;) What a great "impromptu field trip!

 
At March 28, 2007 4:17 PM, Blogger Amberly said...

Oh, I remember going to Elvis's birthplace when I was young! I grew up in a small Alabama town not too far from the MS line and once they built that new mall in Tupelo, that was where we'd go to shop sometimes. Fun!

 
At March 28, 2007 6:17 PM, Blogger Mandalyn said...

I agree, you are a fun mom! I look forward to being able to take my children of field trips!

Can you believe after growing up in the South that I have never been to Elvis' birthplace?

 
At March 30, 2007 7:09 AM, Blogger gail@more than a song said...

You know, I've never been there before! But probably should since it's my state!

 
At March 30, 2007 10:28 AM, Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Ooh, day trip! You know, I've lived in MS my whole life, but I haven't been to Tupelo or to Graceland (although we've been to Memphis a few times for other things). So cool you guys got to just hop on over :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Robin Green



My Complete Profile


Archives
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
November 2010
September 2012

Prayer Requests
prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg



Add Snippets to your site

Blog Ring
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Places I Visit
  • A Chelsea Morning
  • A Coach For Life
  • Antique Mommy
  • Baseballs and Bows
  • Big Blueberry Eyes
  • Big Mama
  • Blessed With Olive Plants
  • Boomama
  • Days to Come
  • Exceedingly Mundane
  • Family Doin's
  • Fruit Inspection
  • Grace and Hope
  • Home Sanctuary
  • In the Midst of It
  • Jenna's Fare
  • Kim's Candor
  • Life At 7000 Feet
  • Lots of Scotts
  • Mo Mhile Gra
  • Moments Amid Messes
  • More Than A Song
  • My Life As Annie
  • One Gals Life in the Raw
  • Raising Five
  • Sweet Tea Please
  • The LPM blog
  • Vader's Mom

  • I'm Reading
    God Is Closer Than You Think
  • The Road to Memphis
  • My Cousin, Rachel

  • Previous Posts
    A Picture..or Two
    Meme's are Fun *UPDATED at the end*
    3 Things Meme
    Menu Plan Monday
    Just Doing As I Was Told
    Weekend Reflection
    Whatcha Worryin' About Anyway
    Please Pray Again
    Thusday Thirteen
    Nephew Update

    Miscellaneous



    ________________
    Add this to your site




    Subscribe with Bloglines




    Credits
    Blog Design by:

    Powered by: Blogger

    Photos from: istockphoto

    Meter: