Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Upwards
Last night, we had our awards ceremony for Upwards Basketball. I had such mixed feelings about the whole thing. I am so glad it's over and I am so sad it's over. Glad because I will have my husband and kids back home on Tuesday nights. Sad because I will have my husband and kids home on Tuesday night. Make sense? I have enjoyed my alone time but I have also felt like our family has had too little time together. I will also miss the Saturday ballgames--the kids had such a great time playing and I enjoyed watching them--except for the occasional injury! But, then again, we haven't had a Saturday at home since early January and we are behind on our yard work, etc. We are celebrating our first free Saturday next week by going out of town for a day of shopping, movie going, eating out, and birthday party attending. Then, the next week will be devoted to the yard! It will be nice to have the whole day at home together. Are we the only ones that never seem to get that? Anyway, the ceremony was great. We had a former Harlem Globetrotter's player, named Seth Franco, come as the guest. He can do things with a basketball like you wouldn't believe. You can go here to see a great video! I know many a child went home with visions of basketball- spinning fame running through their heads. At one point during his show, he had 8-10 people come out of the stands to help him "warm up". He picked several children and a few adults. Seth had them stand in a circle around him and he would throw the basketball to them and they were supposed to throw it back--only he would try to trick them and throw it where he wasn't looking or something like that. Imagine his surprise when he threw the ball to one man and this man puts on a show of basketball tricks. Obviously, this was totally unexpected and the look on Seth's face was priceless--like--"Who is this man showing me up at my own show?" They did a little duel thing and it was great. Seth kept saying, "Who is this guy?" The guy happened to be a local guy who had a daughter playing ball--it was pretty funny. After the show, they gave out a bunch of great door prizes. My daughter, M., won a CD player (which she ended up giving to a girl who didn't have one. M. just won an iPod last month and already has a stereo). My husband received the award for "Most Christ-like Coach". I'm very proud and he definitely deserved it. He worked hard with those kids. He actually coached two teams and was a referee. For not being a minister, he definitely has a minister's heart-- and he ministered to those kids every week. They loved him. (and so do I) And except for the little incident of my son being chased around the gym by a half a dozen girls, we all had a great time (My son was beyond embarrassed) . I am looking forward to doing it all again next year! If you have Upwards in your area and have never participated, I highly recommend it! You and your kids will love it! Have a great day y'all!

Labels:


  posted at 8:38 AM  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At March 13, 2007 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give me two months and I think I will be able to relate to your sadness and joy! My son just started baseball. This is our first extra activity, so we are only beginning to learn about following a schedule someone else sets out for us!

Congrats on your husbands award! That is a great one to win!

 
At March 13, 2007 11:41 AM, Blogger Annie said...

Oh, you are making me miss basketball so much... I co-coached Amanda's team several years and coached Emelia's team in kindergarten (ugh:) So much fun. I loved the games, the busy-ness of it all. Nothing more fun than watching your kids play basketball in my opinion. It's over though... Amanda is in National Honor society and doesn't have time for bball... Bailey is doing track and wrestling... and Emelia is doing tumbling/cheer! Isabelle is my last hope.
Your husband sounds like a wonderful man, you are very blessed!
Annie

 
At March 13, 2007 12:01 PM, Blogger gail@more than a song said...

We loved basketball around our house but never had Upwards in our area so we did the school thing. But it's a great program!
Enjoy it all, the busyness and everything b/c it'll be over fast. Sounds like you have a couple Saturdays already planned out!
Congrats on hubby's award, that is a really good one to get I'd say!

 
At March 13, 2007 6:36 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

What a marvelous thing your daughter did giving away the prize she just won! Tell her there's somebody in Indiana who thinks she did a wonderful thing, and is very proud of her! (BTW- It didn't go unnoticed with God either) From the way it sounds, your entire family has been a light on a hill. WAY TO GO!

 
At March 13, 2007 7:44 PM, Blogger Susan said...

We have never tried any of the Upwards programs in our area, but I think about it each time the season rolls around. Looks to me like it's a blessing to your family.

Blessings and may you find some other "alone" time that gives you energy for the together times.

 
At March 15, 2007 6:14 PM, Blogger Becky said...

We loved Upward basketball!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Robin Green



My Complete Profile


Archives
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
November 2010
September 2012

Prayer Requests
prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg



Add Snippets to your site

Blog Ring
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Places I Visit
  • A Chelsea Morning
  • A Coach For Life
  • Antique Mommy
  • Baseballs and Bows
  • Big Blueberry Eyes
  • Big Mama
  • Blessed With Olive Plants
  • Boomama
  • Days to Come
  • Exceedingly Mundane
  • Family Doin's
  • Fruit Inspection
  • Grace and Hope
  • Home Sanctuary
  • In the Midst of It
  • Jenna's Fare
  • Kim's Candor
  • Life At 7000 Feet
  • Lots of Scotts
  • Mo Mhile Gra
  • Moments Amid Messes
  • More Than A Song
  • My Life As Annie
  • One Gals Life in the Raw
  • Raising Five
  • Sweet Tea Please
  • The LPM blog
  • Vader's Mom

  • I'm Reading
    God Is Closer Than You Think
  • The Road to Memphis
  • My Cousin, Rachel

  • Previous Posts
    Menu Plan Monday
    Weekend Reflection
    Call Me A Slacker
    Weariness
    Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
    In Which I Give Words of Advice That You Probably ...
    Menu Plan Monday
    Weekend Reflection
    Welcome To My Blog!
    Wouldn't This Be Wonderful For Marshmallows...

    Miscellaneous



    ________________
    Add this to your site




    Subscribe with Bloglines




    Credits
    Blog Design by:

    Powered by: Blogger

    Photos from: istockphoto

    Meter: