Saturday, December 29, 2007
The New Year is Fast Approaching...
The new year is coming, and fast. B. and K. have gone down to the coast with a small group to participate in Eight Days of Hope--where people get together and rebuild homes for those who lost theirs in Hurricane Katrina. There are 1100 people participating this time-- An incredible opportunity for them. I have found myself very reflective since Christmas and especially since B. and K. left yesterday morning. What do I want to accomplish in 2008--what do I need to work on? In 2007, my biggest thing was to read the Bible through. I am glad to say that I did it. I also wanted to continue to exercise regularly (my big thing from 2006) and read a great assortment of books. I did those things too. I have a few things on my mind for 08--

1. I want to make a quilt. I don't even own a sewing machine, and haven't really made anything with a sewing machine since junior high (which would be 25 years ago). I don't know why the idea fascinates me, but it does. I am going to find the cheapest sewing machine, and the easiest quilt pattern, and I am going to do it. I have to save up for the sewing machine first. It is right after Christmas, and we are now broke!

2. I am also planning to do both of Beth Moore's 90 day Personal Reflection series (one on Jesus and one on David) and read through the New Testament twice. Beth is a wonderful teacher, and I have so enjoyed all the studies I have gone through. I highly recommend her--along with Joyce Meyer.

3. Continue my Exercise--4-5 days per week for 40-45 minutes. This includes going to Curves. My weight has gone up this year in spite of all the exercise though. I am very bothered by it. I am facing the fact that my eating habits will have to change. Ugh. I always heard this happened around age 40. Whatever will I do?

4. I am also going to work on materialism in my life. My goal is to not buy myself any unnecessary item this entire year, including books (yikes)--other than the sewing machine. That's necessary to fulfill one of my goals, right? I am only going to buy the necessary items for my whole family as well. Wow, my kids won't know what hit them!! and..
5. I guess I will be hitting the library to read the books on my To Read List for 2008 ( I'm sure I will add more as the year progresses. This should give me a good start though):
To Read:
Secret Life of Becky Miller--Sharon Hincke
Safely Home-- Randy Alcorn
The Kite Runner--Khaled Hosseini (I've already read A Thousand Splendid Suns)
Captivating-- John and Staci Eldridge
Eats, Shoots, and Leaves-- Lynne Truss
Nothing To Fear--Jackie French Koller
It's a Jungle Out There--Rod Snell
My Sister's Keeper--Jodi Picoult (this is a possibility. She is a secular author and I have not read her before. I don't know if she is appropriate or not)
I will close this ridiculously long post with a few pictures from our Christmas holiday time at B's parent's house.

K. with a BAM card--a dream gift for her.

M. with the Scrapbooking kit she asked for.

A. with a new Lego kit. He enjoys these and has already, with the help of Dad, put it together. (His shirt says, "I Don't Do Mistletoe" I had to get it for him.)

M. and I had a lot of fun working on this Gingerbread House--from a kit. I think it's something we will do every year.

Labels:


  posted at 9:27 AM  
  8 comments



8 Comments:
At December 29, 2007 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenna, you have some great goals! I have read some of Jodi Picoult's books. A few I quit reading because of language or explicit scenes. I did read Plain Truth (my favorite), My Sister's Keeper, Nineteen Minutes, and Songs of the Humpback Whale (least favorite). I know they all had some language in them, but Plain Truth had the least because it was set in an Amish community. She is a good writer, but I am becoming more and more inclined to skip any books with bad language. With these books, the language is not pervasive, but it is there. I just thought I would let you know so you could make an informed decision. Maybe some others will chime in with their opinions as well. Glad you had a good Christmas!

 
At December 29, 2007 1:11 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

Those are some great goals. I like the materialism goal best. I usually don't myself unnecessary things but I do buy books on occasion. I need to use the library more so that I save money and so that I don't keep books around the house that I really don't plan to keep forever. I usually take them to a consignment shop or something and really I lose a lot of money that way.

I'm also with you on the exercise. I need to be more open to doing that. The weight seems to pack itself on a lot faster as I age. Thanks for the inspiration to get that going!

 
At December 29, 2007 3:06 PM, Blogger Annie said...

I've always wanted to make a quilt too and I have a sewing machine (that barely get's touched... just dusted :o).
My weight is up too. That is one thing I am trying to get myself prepared for with the new year.
More than anything I just feel like this is going to be a year of wonderful blessings and I am anticipating much joy!
Your kiddos are so cute!

 
At December 29, 2007 3:25 PM, Blogger Mandalyn said...

Wow--I have not even set resolutions. I should since our life will be changing so much. I was going to do the lose weight thing--but that's kind of out of the question now. I am going to exercise though. I need to work on consistency. I have a very bad tendency to gain 15-20 lbs. during one half of the year and lose it the other half.

We are waiting on Joseph to find out if he passed his boards (I'm sure he did). I will need to focus on the materialism thing, too. It will be a challenge for me since we will have some income now.

Good list! I want to see the quilt when you get done!

 
At December 30, 2007 3:39 PM, Blogger Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Jenna~
What a great list of goals!!!

This past year, I too STOPPED buying books...and started going to the library....and ya know what....it works GREAT!!!

I also LOVED your family pictures!!! What a great job on the gingerbread house!!

Blessing to you and your family in 2008!!!

 
At December 31, 2007 7:45 AM, Blogger Susan said...

I love your goals...especially not buying anything that isn't necessary. Your book list looks great. I have read several of these books.

Have a happy new year!

:-) Susan

 
At December 31, 2007 1:46 PM, Blogger Becky said...

What a great list of goals. I need to make one of those.
I hope you enjoy quilting. When we were first married I thought it was a hobby only for the elderly ; )
but, I took a class at the library and found out that I really LOVE it! : )

 
At January 02, 2008 9:12 AM, Blogger gail@more than a song said...

I want to make a quilt too! I have a machine and use it but just haven't learned to quilt. I read Sister's Keeper but nothing else yet by Picoult, think I'll try Plain Truth though. There is some language in it as Lauren said but I don't remember it being every page, the subject matter of that one was hard and that one stayed with me for a while when done. I've seen lots of people talking a/b Kite Runner, guess I need to check the library for it sometime.

Love your pics! Cute kids and mama!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Robin Green



My Complete Profile


Archives
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
November 2010
September 2012

Prayer Requests
prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg



Add Snippets to your site

Blog Ring
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Places I Visit
  • A Chelsea Morning
  • A Coach For Life
  • Antique Mommy
  • Baseballs and Bows
  • Big Blueberry Eyes
  • Big Mama
  • Blessed With Olive Plants
  • Boomama
  • Days to Come
  • Exceedingly Mundane
  • Family Doin's
  • Fruit Inspection
  • Grace and Hope
  • Home Sanctuary
  • In the Midst of It
  • Jenna's Fare
  • Kim's Candor
  • Life At 7000 Feet
  • Lots of Scotts
  • Mo Mhile Gra
  • Moments Amid Messes
  • More Than A Song
  • My Life As Annie
  • One Gals Life in the Raw
  • Raising Five
  • Sweet Tea Please
  • The LPM blog
  • Vader's Mom

  • I'm Reading
    God Is Closer Than You Think
  • The Road to Memphis
  • My Cousin, Rachel

  • Previous Posts
    Merry Christmas, Y'all
    Merry Christmas To Us
    My Sister's Name is Not Grace
    Alive and Well...and Hot
    Something You Need To Know About
    Cleaning The Bathroom
    The Mighty Hunter
    Tragedy Strikes My Hometown
    A Decorating Dilemma
    Homecoming Day

    Miscellaneous



    ________________
    Add this to your site




    Subscribe with Bloglines




    Credits
    Blog Design by:

    Powered by: Blogger

    Photos from: istockphoto

    Meter: