Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Tragedy Strikes My Hometown
Just yesterday, on my way to pick the kids up from school, I was thinking about how uncertain life can be. I could name a dozen people off the top of my head who have died way before their time--people in their 30s and 40s--people like my own mother and daughter. We make plans, and we think that we are going to spend the rest of our lives with a certain person or doing a certain thing--and then some tragedy strikes--a car wreck or cancer or something equally as horrible--and it's all over. The plans we made were not the plans God had for us. I have become so aware over the past 12 years or so how very much our ways are just not God's ways--our thoughts are not His. I was thinking how we can not afford to take one moment with our loved ones for granted--not one. single. moment. I just received an email from my good high school friend, Jodi. (We've recently been in contact again--after 20 years--thanks to Classmates.com) She had received an email from another of our classmates who still lives and teaches in our tiny hometown and wanted to let me know. Anyway, Rick and Larissa were classmates of ours who were married right when Larissa got out of high school (Rick's a little older than us, and Larissa's a little younger). Shortly after they were married, Rick had a heart attack, and they have gone on to face many hard circumstances: rheumatoid arthritis, a benign brain tumor, a cat scratch that almost took Rick's life (really) and now the worst of all. Rick (41 years old or so) and his oldest daughter (9th grade) were on their way to pick up the youngest daughter (7th grade) from cheerleading practice and had a terrible wreck on the way and were instantly killed. I just can't imagine the horror of it all. Please join me in praying for this precious family whose lives have been drastically changed forever. It really just makes me sick to think about it. May God grant them the measure of peace that they need to get through each day. And may we never take the gift of life for granted.

Labels:


  posted at 10:41 AM  
  26 comments



26 Comments:
At October 24, 2007 1:02 PM, Blogger Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Oh Jenna~
You are SO right...we have NO idea, when our time will be up. Oh how we need to cherish EACH moment with our loved ones.

I will be praying for this family!!!

And, I'm praying for you too...I didn't know that you've lost your Mom, and a daughter!!!!

 
At October 24, 2007 1:43 PM, Blogger Leah Belle said...

I was just recently discussing life's trials with a friend. We concluded that we are so glad to have the peace and comfort of the Lord.I pray this family will know the peace only He can give.

 
At October 24, 2007 3:01 PM, Blogger Corrie said...

Jenna,
I will be praying for your friends. I'm sorry to hear about this.

 
At October 24, 2007 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will have family in my prayers!!!

 
At October 24, 2007 3:42 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Life is very temporary, and very unpredictable. After Izzy's accident I was so scared that I didn't want to do anything or let the kids do anything and I finally had to surrender to God and His plan for my life. I will sure keep this family in my prayers. Just so sad.

 
At October 24, 2007 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sad Jenna. I will say a prayer for the family.

 
At October 24, 2007 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true. My thoughts and prayers are with that family.

 
At October 24, 2007 9:28 PM, Blogger Joyful Days said...

Many prayers.

 
At October 24, 2007 10:26 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

that is so heartbreaking; I can't even imagine. I just heard about a family here on base who lost their 2 month old baby due to carbon monoxide...how awful. Keeping both these families in my prayers.

 
At October 24, 2007 11:00 PM, Blogger Kellan said...

Jenna, I am so sorry about the death of your friends and I will certainly keep your the their families in my prayers. Life is cruel sometimes ...

 
At October 25, 2007 10:19 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

This is such a sad happening. I'll be praying for the family. I often wonder how I'd hold up under this kind of tragedy. I pray God will comfort his wife and daughter.

 
At October 25, 2007 11:41 AM, Blogger Sherri said...

That's just so hard to comprehend...to lose a husband and child at the same time. It will take God to give peace during this time!!!!!!!!

 
At October 25, 2007 1:44 PM, Blogger Jill said...

How tragic. I go through bouts of having bad dreams and worrying terribly about something like that happening to my family, espeically the children. Fear gets the better of me and I wonder how I would ever go on. I will be lifting them up in prayer.

 
At October 26, 2007 9:50 AM, Blogger gail@more than a song said...

That is so true Jenna about life and it's uncertainties....and so sad about your friends.

 
At October 26, 2007 8:23 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Praying

 
At October 27, 2007 3:13 PM, Blogger Renee said...

How tragic. Will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

Renee'
http://rmboys2.wordpress.com/

 
At October 27, 2007 8:30 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

That is sad. I can't imagine the grief those left behind are going through.

 
At October 27, 2007 10:07 PM, Blogger Rachel Anne said...

How awful. I will be praying for them, thanks for sharing so we can all remember them in prayer.

 
At October 29, 2007 4:11 PM, Blogger CG said...

That's horrible!

 
At October 30, 2007 12:12 PM, Blogger Judi said...

How horrible. I will pray for them.

 
At October 30, 2007 3:26 PM, Blogger Becky said...

I'm so sorry for your friend and praying for them.

 
At October 31, 2007 8:08 PM, Blogger Christy said...

Oh, that breaks my heart. I will be praying for them. Please keep us updated.

 
At November 01, 2007 5:41 AM, Blogger Jobove - Reus said...

very good blog congratulations
regard from Catalonia Spain
thank you

 
At November 07, 2007 11:54 AM, Blogger Corrie said...

Jenna!
I miss you!
Hope you are well!
Corrie

 
At November 07, 2007 4:19 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Hey Jenna!
I miss you too!
Hope you are all happy and healthy over there :o)
I've been threatening (to Matt) that I'm gonna get on a plane and visit you guys. I feel very brave after my orlando trip :o)!

 
At November 07, 2007 9:10 PM, Blogger Becky said...

Hope all is well, Jenna.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Robin Green



My Complete Profile


Archives
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
November 2010
September 2012

Prayer Requests
prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg



Add Snippets to your site

Blog Ring
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Places I Visit
  • A Chelsea Morning
  • A Coach For Life
  • Antique Mommy
  • Baseballs and Bows
  • Big Blueberry Eyes
  • Big Mama
  • Blessed With Olive Plants
  • Boomama
  • Days to Come
  • Exceedingly Mundane
  • Family Doin's
  • Fruit Inspection
  • Grace and Hope
  • Home Sanctuary
  • In the Midst of It
  • Jenna's Fare
  • Kim's Candor
  • Life At 7000 Feet
  • Lots of Scotts
  • Mo Mhile Gra
  • Moments Amid Messes
  • More Than A Song
  • My Life As Annie
  • One Gals Life in the Raw
  • Raising Five
  • Sweet Tea Please
  • The LPM blog
  • Vader's Mom

  • I'm Reading
    God Is Closer Than You Think
  • The Road to Memphis
  • My Cousin, Rachel

  • Previous Posts
    A Decorating Dilemma
    Homecoming Day
    Middle Name Meme and Stuff
    Thank You, Thank You Very Much
    The Promised Pictures
    We're Home
    We Have A Winner!
    Two Projects in Six Weeks
    Fall Into Reading 2007 and a Tiny Give-Away
    Oh Yes, And I Had a Birthday Too

    Miscellaneous



    ________________
    Add this to your site




    Subscribe with Bloglines




    Credits
    Blog Design by:

    Powered by: Blogger

    Photos from: istockphoto

    Meter: