Sunday, March 23, 2008
Glad To Be Home
What an eventful week--it started with the death of my oldest cousin's daughter--and with B. leaving for a turkey hunting trip to Texas. B. left last Sunday morning, bright and early, with great hopes and dreams of turkey shooting heaven. I very much did not want him to go--I was still recovering "mentally" from my pretty much self imposed "health scare", and we had the phone call from my sister saying that Denise had died in a car accident. He went ahead with the trip because he knew I would be fine, and because the trip had been planned for months and months in advance. Anyway, I decided that the kids and I would travel to Missouri for the funeral on Wednesday. We left Tuesday morning, not realizing the weather situation in Missouri--wowzers--what a lot of rain. The area where I grew up is pretty much completely flooded--take a look at these pictures of my home town:

The local newspaper says this is the worst flood--8 inches in 10 hours-- in my home town since 1982--which I remember well. Some say it's actually worse.

Anyway, the funeral wasn't in this town, but farther up the road in Pacific--that's the town that FOX has been reporting from a lot. They were actually evacuating the town while the funeral was going on. Denise's funeral was actually delayed a little while because her fiance' was trying to evacuate from his house. Here's a few scenes from that area:

Thankfully, we were able to leave the area before the entire town was flooded--we saw a lot of rain, and a lot of water on the sides of the road but were never in any danger.

The funeral was very sad--all funerals are, but they are especially when the deceased is young. Denise was twenty, engaged, and full of life. There were a ton of kids there--she ran with a group of about 50 kids--there were many, many more than that at her funeral. She was greatly loved and will be greatly missed. So--in honor of her mother (and my cousin), Beth,--and in memory of Denise-here's the fun song that was played at the end of her funeral. I'll always think of her now when I hear it.

Denise Ann Brunk

June 17, 1987-March 15, 2008

I was so glad to have my cousin, Angela, come back to Mississippi with me on Wednesday for a visit. She just left a little while ago with her hubby--who was with my hubby on the hunting trip--to go back home. We had a nice time--didn't do a whole lot--we shopped, ate, talked, and watched several movies, including August Rush, Enchanted, and Horton Hears a Who--they were all pretty good--I hated the ending of August Rush--it could have been so much better, in my opinion. We also talked a little about our 40th birthday trip--we focused on Maui...

The company is gone now, B. is home taking a nap (they didn't shoot a single turkey), the kids will be back in school on Tuesday, and it seems things are going to get back to normal--whatever that is.

Labels:


  posted at 4:11 PM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At March 23, 2008 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your cousin's daughter. So sad.
Those pictures are incredible.

 
At March 25, 2008 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll be OK. God loves you.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

 
At March 25, 2008 8:41 PM, Blogger gail@more than a song said...

So glad you're back and had a safe trip.
Wow on those pictures, that's a lot of rain.

 
At March 27, 2008 5:29 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

Wow, that rain looks scary. I can't imagine people trying to evacuate a town while you are trying to attend a funeral. Having just lost my BIL, I can say that things are sad. We are happy that he is no longer suffering but boy, it sure is lonelier without him around. My heart goes out to Denise's family. Watching my MIL and FIL grieve has been just as hard on me as loosing my sweet BIL.

 
At April 18, 2008 4:16 PM, Blogger Sherri said...

I'm so sorry about your loss....wow!
Unbelievable about your home town. It's amazing how water can sweep in and transform a place...so sad and scary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Robin Green



My Complete Profile


Archives
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
November 2010
September 2012

Prayer Requests
prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg



Add Snippets to your site

Blog Ring
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Places I Visit
  • A Chelsea Morning
  • A Coach For Life
  • Antique Mommy
  • Baseballs and Bows
  • Big Blueberry Eyes
  • Big Mama
  • Blessed With Olive Plants
  • Boomama
  • Days to Come
  • Exceedingly Mundane
  • Family Doin's
  • Fruit Inspection
  • Grace and Hope
  • Home Sanctuary
  • In the Midst of It
  • Jenna's Fare
  • Kim's Candor
  • Life At 7000 Feet
  • Lots of Scotts
  • Mo Mhile Gra
  • Moments Amid Messes
  • More Than A Song
  • My Life As Annie
  • One Gals Life in the Raw
  • Raising Five
  • Sweet Tea Please
  • The LPM blog
  • Vader's Mom

  • I'm Reading
    God Is Closer Than You Think
  • The Road to Memphis
  • My Cousin, Rachel

  • Previous Posts
    Where To Start?
    Week in Review
    Wii and More
    On The Front Porch Today
    I Find It Ironic
    A Whole Bunch of Somethin'
    The Mystery Continues
    Weight Watchers Online
    Company and Stuff
    Dioramas Are Complete

    Miscellaneous



    ________________
    Add this to your site




    Subscribe with Bloglines




    Credits
    Blog Design by:

    Powered by: Blogger

    Photos from: istockphoto

    Meter: