Wednesday, March 28, 2007
I Always Wanted to be a Star!
I read the book, Purpose Driven Life, a few years ago. It really changed the way I thought about some things, but one thing that particularly stuck out to me was Rick Warren's suggestion that we all write our life stories. I have not done that, but I can see the value in it, especially for our descendants. I would love to have something like that of my mom's, but it's too late for that. So, every now and then, I am going to post some of my childhood memories, and someday I am going to get this blog published and bound for my family. Did you know you could do that? I found out here. So, I was remembering the night before last how much I really loved to sing when I was little. I still do, but when I was very little, I used to get up in front of the church and sing "specials" quite often. I'm talking 3 years old here. As a matter of fact, I didn't need the church to flaunt my singing abilities. I would give an impromptu concert anytime, anyplace. Sometimes, I even threw in a little preaching. Really, it's true! I have had several people from my childhood come up to me and say stuff like, "I remember the time you climbed up on the coffee table in the hospital waiting room and preached a sermon to everyone there." or " Do you remember singing with your mom every Sunday in church?" Now, I don't really remember being that bad--and it's a sight different from the way I am now, but I do remember singing all the time. I, actually, remember the words of the first song I ever sang at church. It's a funny little song and I can't believe I knew it then, and that I remember it now--35 years later!
"Run if you want to
Run if you will
But I came here to stay-ay-ay.
And if I fall down
I'm gonna try and get up
'Cause I didn't start out that way.
It's a battlefield, brother,
Not a recreation room
It's a fight and not a game.
So, run if you want to
Run if you will
But I came here to stay!"
Told you it was a funny little song, and knowing me at that age, I was probably doing a little choreography! (After all, it was a Pentecostal church!) The thought of that makes me giggle!

post signature

Labels:


  posted at 12:43 PM  
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At March 29, 2007 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet memory! I was quite the performer at a young age as well. Funny how we become so much more inhibited as we get older (at least I did)!

 
At March 29, 2007 12:00 PM, Blogger Annie said...

You sound like Emelia :)
She went to the library with her little friend last night and comes home with a kids worship and praise cd. Then she proceeds to free style dance/sing to it in her own world. Totally uninhibited.
That book was good, I worked through it several years ago when I led weekly bible studies at a high security women's prison.

Annie
My Life as Annie!

 
At March 29, 2007 12:26 PM, Blogger Corrie said...

It's fun to look back on memories like that. I did not know that blogs could be bound...very cool!
I'm glad to know that another mom of twins had to answer all of the same questions on a daily basis! =)
The kids are already changing so fast...sometimes I wish they would stay babies forever, so sweet. Then, at 3:30 am, I am reminding myself that growing up is a good thing! Have a great day!

 
At March 29, 2007 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such a great memory! It's things like that our kids would never believe we did. Well, and some other things, but we won't tell them about those! :)

 
At March 29, 2007 1:17 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

It's great to write your old and new memories down! Life passes by so quickly, and how quickly we forget. Thanks for sharing such a cute story. :0)

 
At March 29, 2007 3:15 PM, Blogger Leah Belle said...

What a great idea! I like the idea of having the blog bound. I will have to keep that in mind. I am working on posting some photos from the "good ol' days" because I love to reminisce!

 
At March 29, 2007 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neat! I didn't know you could publish and bind your blog, either! What a great idea to hand it down to the kiddos!

 
At March 30, 2007 7:07 AM, Blogger gail@more than a song said...

Our pastor has talked about life stories, good idea to put stuff down like that. Your kids will love having it one day I bet. Sweet memory about singing with your mom.

 
At March 30, 2007 7:11 AM, Blogger Carina said...

Oh yeah. Special music in a Pentecostal church. That certainly brings back memories.

I grew up Assembly of God, and my Dad was a preacher, so I did a lot of special music. My first two real soundtracks were C'mon Ring Those Bells and I Love you Lord Jesus. I think I was four.

I don't know if it's possible to grow up as a Pentecostal preacher's kid and not be an extrovert.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Robin Green



My Complete Profile


Archives
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
November 2010
September 2012

Prayer Requests
prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg



Add Snippets to your site

Blog Ring
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Places I Visit
  • A Chelsea Morning
  • A Coach For Life
  • Antique Mommy
  • Baseballs and Bows
  • Big Blueberry Eyes
  • Big Mama
  • Blessed With Olive Plants
  • Boomama
  • Days to Come
  • Exceedingly Mundane
  • Family Doin's
  • Fruit Inspection
  • Grace and Hope
  • Home Sanctuary
  • In the Midst of It
  • Jenna's Fare
  • Kim's Candor
  • Life At 7000 Feet
  • Lots of Scotts
  • Mo Mhile Gra
  • Moments Amid Messes
  • More Than A Song
  • My Life As Annie
  • One Gals Life in the Raw
  • Raising Five
  • Sweet Tea Please
  • The LPM blog
  • Vader's Mom

  • I'm Reading
    God Is Closer Than You Think
  • The Road to Memphis
  • My Cousin, Rachel

  • Previous Posts
    An Impromptu Field-Trip
    A Picture..or Two
    Meme's are Fun *UPDATED at the end*
    3 Things Meme
    Menu Plan Monday
    Just Doing As I Was Told
    Weekend Reflection
    Whatcha Worryin' About Anyway
    Please Pray Again
    Thusday Thirteen

    Miscellaneous



    ________________
    Add this to your site




    Subscribe with Bloglines




    Credits
    Blog Design by:

    Powered by: Blogger

    Photos from: istockphoto

    Meter: