Saturday, May 19, 2007
Family Favorite Recipes
I have been asked for these recipes a couple of times--I forgot to post them when I said I would. So sorry for that.
Corn Casserole
2 sticks butter, melted
2 eggs
8 oz. sour cream
1 can kernel corn (drained)
1 can creamed corn
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
Mix all ingredients together for 2 minutes.
Bake at 375 degrees in a 9x13 dish for 25-35 minutes. Easy and delicious--fattening too!
Ham Pie
1/4 cup shortening
3 T chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
6 T flour
2 cups milk
1 can cream of chicken (or celery) soup
2 cups diced cooked ham
1 T lemon juice
Saute onions and peppers in shortening. Remove from heat. Add 6 T flour. Mix together the soup and milk and gradually add to skillet.
Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in ham and lemon juice. Pour into greased 9x13 dish.
Cheese biscuits:
2 cups flour
3 t baking powder
1 t salt
5 T shortening
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese ( I use 1 cup)
1 small jar chopped pimientos
2/3 cup milk
Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut shortening in with pastry blender until mixture looks like meal. Stir in cheese, pimiento, and milk. Round up on lightly floured surface, knead very lightly. Roll out 1/3 inch thick and cut into 10 biscuits. Use extra dough to fill in edges and corners of casserole. ( The recipe calls for the biscuits to be very thin--my hubby prefers them thicker--do whatever your family prefers.) This recipe is best with a regular ham--nothing sweet. I have used canned ham and the pre-diced kind. The leftover ham from Easter is best!!
Hope you enjoy and let me know if you have any questions.

post signature

Labels:


  posted at 5:29 PM  
  14 comments



14 Comments:
At May 19, 2007 6:12 PM, Blogger kittyhox said...

Thanks so much for posting this.

I've never cooked with shortening. Is that the same thing as Crisco? I've seen commercials for Crisco. :)

Also, I'm going to leave out the onions and peppers. I don't care for either. Should I substitute another vegetable? Maybe asparagus? I love asparagus. Or artichoke hearts, maybe. What would be southern?

Also, what is canned ham? I've never heard of that.

I can't wait to try these recipes and I'll let you know how they turn out!!

 
At May 19, 2007 8:06 PM, Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Oh yum, these all sound so good! You're making me so hungry :)

 
At May 19, 2007 9:35 PM, Blogger Laura said...

That corn casserole is an absolute favorite in our family too! My husband grew up eating it, and so I was introduced to it when we got married. It's marvelous.
Have yourself a great weekend, oh faithful bloggin' friend!

 
At May 19, 2007 11:14 PM, Blogger Sherri said...

Hi Jenna,
I saw the link to you Blog on Baseball and Bows. I hope you don't mind if I visit!
I saw your post below about sending your children to private school. Have you always homeschooled them? How are they feeling about going to school? I will be so interested in keeping up with this as I feel that we might one day send ours back...if that's what they want.
I started homeschooling last year when mine were in the 4th, 2nd, and 3rd grades. So far, we are so happy with our new life!!
It's nice to "meet" you. Come join us at OurPlace!

 
At May 19, 2007 11:39 PM, Blogger Annie said...

hey jennag, i tagged u.

btw, i love making corn casserole and my recipe is just like yours and i am going to try making your ham pie. makes me hungry just reading the recipe.

 
At May 20, 2007 12:24 AM, Blogger Military Mommy said...

Oh.My.Goodness.

I will have to just salivate over this menu for now. I just started the weight challenge, but you better believe I'm bookmarking these for later. :) Thanks for sharing!

Thanks also for dropping by my blog. That made me laugh about what your daughter said about being on the computer all the time. :) I can relate......

Have a relaxing sunday,
Michelle

 
At May 20, 2007 10:23 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

I've never had these dishes and they sound yummy- thanks! :)

 
At May 20, 2007 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use a similar corn recipe, but it doesn't have the sour cream. I will have to try this! Thanks!

 
At May 20, 2007 4:08 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

I love to eat and to make corn casserole! It's wonderful!

 
At May 20, 2007 6:08 PM, Blogger Becky said...

I'm so glad to have the corn casserole recipe. I've had it a couple of times and always wanted to make it. Thanks.

 
At May 21, 2007 7:56 AM, Blogger gail@more than a song said...

I love that corn casserole recipe too, it seems to be a favorite!

 
At May 21, 2007 7:54 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

I know these recipes are good, 'cause you're one of the best cooks I know!

 
At May 21, 2007 11:07 PM, Blogger Corrie said...

These look really good Jenna! I'll have to try these. I always love anything with ham!

 
At May 23, 2007 10:20 PM, Blogger CG said...

This corn stuff is the BEST! I make it for any party b/c everyone loves it(even the men) and it's so easy! I could eat it for dessert-it's so good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Robin Green



My Complete Profile


Archives
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
November 2010
September 2012

Prayer Requests
prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg



Add Snippets to your site

Blog Ring
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Places I Visit
  • A Chelsea Morning
  • A Coach For Life
  • Antique Mommy
  • Baseballs and Bows
  • Big Blueberry Eyes
  • Big Mama
  • Blessed With Olive Plants
  • Boomama
  • Days to Come
  • Exceedingly Mundane
  • Family Doin's
  • Fruit Inspection
  • Grace and Hope
  • Home Sanctuary
  • In the Midst of It
  • Jenna's Fare
  • Kim's Candor
  • Life At 7000 Feet
  • Lots of Scotts
  • Mo Mhile Gra
  • Moments Amid Messes
  • More Than A Song
  • My Life As Annie
  • One Gals Life in the Raw
  • Raising Five
  • Sweet Tea Please
  • The LPM blog
  • Vader's Mom

  • I'm Reading
    God Is Closer Than You Think
  • The Road to Memphis
  • My Cousin, Rachel

  • Previous Posts
    I Got Bit
    My Southern Belle--and The See-Saw
    The Results Are In
    Happy Birthday
    What shall we eat this week? I have a bit of a p...
    Momma
    Mom's Day
    Out of Africa
    An Unexpected Trip
    May Day Challenge

    Miscellaneous



    ________________
    Add this to your site




    Subscribe with Bloglines




    Credits
    Blog Design by:

    Powered by: Blogger

    Photos from: istockphoto

    Meter: