Tuesday, April 10, 2007
All Right, I'm Back/Home-school PE
We had a lovely time yesterday. The kids really enjoyed the movie--B. and I thought it a little lame! I did like the way they wrapped everything up though--and it did have a positive message of "not giving up"! You can read a great review of it here. (Meet the Robinson's) The kids are heading out to Homeschool PE in a couple hours. This program at the YMCA has been such a blessing to our family. PE is the thing my kids look the most forward to all week. The leader is a precious homeschooling mom who takes fitness very seriously. She is very sanguine and loves to make everything fun for the kids. We are sad that we will not be going back after this year. Anyway, every year in April, we have the Home-school Olympics. The kids are broken down into different teams --and they compete against each other in various games--many traditional Olympic games--like javelin throwing and the long jump! It's a blast for the kids all month long. The older kids are the team captains and they paint a lovely banner to represent their team and they come up with their own team cheer. In the past, the teams have been named things like "Crete", "Troy," "Sparta", and "Athens". This year, for a change, they picked names of mountains--the Matterhorn and K-3 are two that were chosen this year! At the opening ceremonies, we have the running of the torch ( a real torch that was actually carried in the Olympics), the presenting of the teams, their banners,and their cheers--and an opening basketball game. The closing ceremonies are the greatest though. This is really made into a big deal. We sing the Star Spangled Banner, the kids always perform a human video of some sort, and the gold, silver, and bronze medals are given out in each category. Every child gets a medal and their faces are always beaming. I am so glad that we have been blessed to be a part of this program for 4 years now. I know it will be one of my kids most precious memories from our years spent home-schooling. I have no earthly idea why this picture posted this way--oh well!

post signature

Labels: ,


  posted at 10:20 AM  
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At April 10, 2007 1:11 PM, Blogger Carina said...

I wish we had some kind of homeschool set-up here. If I homeschool my children, I will be the only one in my whole town. (It's only got about 500 people.)

 
At April 10, 2007 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this is a scanned photo, you may need to .... what's the word? Ack, I can't think of what it's called ~ crop it? Click on the image and bring the dotted lines in to frame the picture, itself.

The Olympics sound so fun for the kiddos! We've never been involved in extra homeschool activies. The one time we did, it was a bad experience. I wish we had something here like y'all have. :o)

 
At April 10, 2007 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The homeschool olympics sound like so much fun! It is great that things like that are available to you. Since I don't homeschool I have no idea if they have those things here or not!

 
At April 10, 2007 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds so fun! I bet that is something they will always remember!

 
At April 10, 2007 5:09 PM, Blogger Becky said...

How awesome!!!! Sounds like great fun! Don't you love people who coordinate such wonderful homeschooling activities?
They are always so creative and fun.

 
At April 10, 2007 6:08 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

Very cool! We have homeschool PE at my house too. I say, "girls, go run around the house ten times and then come back!" LOL! Since the weather is warmer, we've added basketball time and bike riding time.

I really wish that I felt like driving 15 minutes so that the girls could take a homeschool PE class.....maybe next year!

 
At April 10, 2007 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful! A lot of creative people must be behind it.

 
At April 10, 2007 10:16 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

that sounds like a great home-school group with all the programs. I bet the kids have a blast with the olympics!

 
At April 10, 2007 10:23 PM, Blogger gail@more than a song said...

The group sounds like a fun idea.
Glad your family had fun going out together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Robin Green



My Complete Profile


Archives
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
November 2010
September 2012

Prayer Requests
prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg



Add Snippets to your site

Blog Ring
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Places I Visit
  • A Chelsea Morning
  • A Coach For Life
  • Antique Mommy
  • Baseballs and Bows
  • Big Blueberry Eyes
  • Big Mama
  • Blessed With Olive Plants
  • Boomama
  • Days to Come
  • Exceedingly Mundane
  • Family Doin's
  • Fruit Inspection
  • Grace and Hope
  • Home Sanctuary
  • In the Midst of It
  • Jenna's Fare
  • Kim's Candor
  • Life At 7000 Feet
  • Lots of Scotts
  • Mo Mhile Gra
  • Moments Amid Messes
  • More Than A Song
  • My Life As Annie
  • One Gals Life in the Raw
  • Raising Five
  • Sweet Tea Please
  • The LPM blog
  • Vader's Mom

  • I'm Reading
    God Is Closer Than You Think
  • The Road to Memphis
  • My Cousin, Rachel

  • Previous Posts
    A Little Teeny-Tiny Bloggy Break
    Weekend Reflection
    The Concert Calls and Happy Easter to You!
    Friday's Feast
    Duly Chastised
    Thank You, Thank You Very Much!
    Spring Reading Thing *UPDATED*
    My Future Plans
    I Would Love To Meet...
    A Meme For Annie-The ABC one.

    Miscellaneous



    ________________
    Add this to your site




    Subscribe with Bloglines




    Credits
    Blog Design by:

    Powered by: Blogger

    Photos from: istockphoto

    Meter: