Sunday, June 15, 2008
We Have Success...
...Partial success anyway! When I last wrote, I thought that I would probably forget the whole potty training mission, but I am proud to say that my niece is making her way through Potty Training Camp very well. We dove right in Monday morning--by Thursday, I was ready to quit. She will never get this, I thought (silly, I know--of course she will get it--). Thursday was her worst day yet. I cleaned up more potty than I ever care to again! For some reason, though, I continued on Friday and she had her best day yet--only one potty accident and one no. 2 accident. Saturday, she didn't have any accidents at all! I'm so proud of her--and I surely never thought I would be potty training a child again! Today, she is doing great--but I have yet to get her to no. 2 in the toilet! Help-- She had a po*opy accident this afternoon. I just tried a bribe--hoping she will really want a new Dora toy enough to go in the toilet. We shall see! I'm still putting a diaper on her at night, but she has been keeping it almost dry since Wed. morning.
*
It is so important that she gets potty trained as this will save my sister a much needed $160 a month in day care expenses and $50 in diapers. I haven't shared, but I am keeping my sweet niece because my baby sister has become completely overwhelmed with single-motherhood and working at a job that doesn't pay much, and having a deadbeat as her daughter's father. She can barely get by, so our whole family came together this past week to ease her load and bless her a bit. She is working a bunch of double shifts while I have her little one, my dad paid a bunch of her debt off (mostly expensive day care bills because the father hasn't been paying), my sister and step-brother and sister helped her get her home, car, and budget in order-they are also updating her resume' so she can try to get a little better paying job and one that is closer to her home. I am watching her daughter so that she can work the doubles, and so that I can get her baby girl potty trained. Can you believe that the day care doesn't potty train? How is a single woman working full time supposed to potty train a child? I just want to know--how hard is that? I think she is probably trained well enough that they will consider her potty trained and give my sister the reduced rate. I am praying anyway...
*
I can't even tell you the compassion I have for my sister right now--I feel for her so much. She has made some mistakes--serious ones--but I still hurt for her and her situation so much. Sometimes I want to shake her--and sometimes I just want to hold her and tell her every thing's going to be all right.
*
My niece is with us for another week--she is as precious as can be--but we could use any and all prayers you might be able to spare for this momma who's not so very used to toddlerhood anymore!!!

Labels:


  posted at 2:36 PM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At June 16, 2008 7:59 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

I thought about you yesterday when I didn't see you. You are doing a wonderful thing.

 
At June 17, 2008 6:42 AM, Blogger gail@more than a song said...

I think that's a special thing y'all are doing too, to help her out and bless her! I bet she so appreciates it and it's what anyone would do for family too I'm sure. Plus you get to spend some time with a special little girl and invest your life in her for a bit!

 
At June 18, 2008 3:00 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

Having been in the same position as your sister at one point in my life, I know how hard it is to keep it all together. I think it would have been a real blessing to have this kind of help because sometimes you really feel like your life will always be that crazy and overwhelming. What a wonderful way to bless your sister and I'm sure she's thankful.

 
At June 18, 2008 10:28 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

glad to hear the potty training is going so well! It's wonderful how your family has rallied around your sister to help her out during this tough time in her life; I'm sure she really appreciates it!

 
At June 22, 2008 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to the difficult potty training issue. My four year old son took over a year to fully potty train. We tried everything under the sun. It finally happened and we rejoiced! I am sure that your sister appreciates the help. We are in a similar position and will be taking in my oldest niece to give her a break from being the "second mom". Blessings to you and your family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Robin Green



My Complete Profile


Archives
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
November 2010
September 2012

Prayer Requests
prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg



Add Snippets to your site

Blog Ring
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Places I Visit
  • A Chelsea Morning
  • A Coach For Life
  • Antique Mommy
  • Baseballs and Bows
  • Big Blueberry Eyes
  • Big Mama
  • Blessed With Olive Plants
  • Boomama
  • Days to Come
  • Exceedingly Mundane
  • Family Doin's
  • Fruit Inspection
  • Grace and Hope
  • Home Sanctuary
  • In the Midst of It
  • Jenna's Fare
  • Kim's Candor
  • Life At 7000 Feet
  • Lots of Scotts
  • Mo Mhile Gra
  • Moments Amid Messes
  • More Than A Song
  • My Life As Annie
  • One Gals Life in the Raw
  • Raising Five
  • Sweet Tea Please
  • The LPM blog
  • Vader's Mom

  • I'm Reading
    God Is Closer Than You Think
  • The Road to Memphis
  • My Cousin, Rachel

  • Previous Posts
    A Visitor
    I'm Alive
    Crabb-y
    Glad To Be Home
    Where To Start?
    Week in Review
    Wii and More
    On The Front Porch Today
    I Find It Ironic
    A Whole Bunch of Somethin'

    Miscellaneous



    ________________
    Add this to your site




    Subscribe with Bloglines




    Credits
    Blog Design by:

    Powered by: Blogger

    Photos from: istockphoto

    Meter: